Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ'S)

  1. With taxes and service charges how much do I pay per year?

    Sewer charges for 2018 will be $75 per single family equivalent-connection per quarter. For most residential users this will be $300 per year in addition to property taxes collected by the District, which vary depending on property value. A property valued at $350,000 will pay approximately $200 per year to the District in property taxes for a grand total of approximately $500 for the year.

  2. Who profits from the increase?

    The District is a non-profit entity with volunteer Board members who pay the fees and taxes just like all residents of the District. The District contracts for professional services such as Management, Engineering, Accounting, Legal, and Sewer Line Cleaning and Operations. Major projects are publicly bid and contracts are awarded to the lowest responsible bidder. Revenue raised from taxes and fees is used to pay ongoing operating costs and investment in infrastructure. Unlike private utility providers, the District is not required to generate a profit to pay executives or shareholders. The beneficiary of the ongoing operations and infrastructure investment is you, the resident and constituent.

  3. Who is the Governing Body?

    The District is governed by an elected five-member board. Residents who are registered to vote and own taxable property, or are the spouse of a taxable property owner or have lived in the District for at least thirty days are eligible to run for a position on the board.

  4. In November 2015 a Ballot Question (Issue 5A) to raise taxes was circulated and voted down. What gives the District the right to raise fees if the taxpayers refused to authorize additional collection through taxes?

    The District is authorized by law to operate a "Utility Enterprise" collecting revenue through fees. The cost to the District (and ultimately its constituents) of revenue collection through property taxes is less expensive, and therefore preferable to imposing fees, which require the operation of a billing service. Because the District is unable to collect all revenues through voter-approved property taxes, it must collect sufficient fee revenue to ensure the ongoing provision of sanitary sewer service to the constituents of the District. View the ballot results here.

  5. Who Regulates the District?

    Title 32 of the Colorado Revised Statutes grants special districts the power to levy and collect property taxes and fix, increase or decrease fees, rates, tolls, penalties and charges. Unlike a private utility provider the District is not regulated by the Public Utilities Commission. Governance of the District is entrusted to an elected five-member, volunteer citizen board. The District must comply with all regulations imposed by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE).

    For more information about the District please visit our website at: or contact the District Manager at 303-987-0835 or by email at

  6. Who are the current board members and what is their background?"
    • Anthony Dursey - Retired
    • James D. (Jim) Zimmerman - Mr. Zimmerman is a retired Colorado district court judge having served 30 years. He was the judge who oversaw special districts in Jefferson County. He was one of the organizers and chair of the Jefferson County Community Corrections program now serving over 3000 offenders and organized CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) of Jefferson and Gilpin Counties that provides volunteer citizen advocates in court for abused and neglected children. He also serves on the Board of Directors of Prospect Recreation and Parks District.
    • Gregory A. (Greg) Fabisiak - Mr. Fabisiak is employed by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and has nearly 30 years of technical and management experience in the water and wastewater industry.
    • Catherine "Cici" Kesler

  7. Am I a customer of Northwest Lakewood Sanitation District (NWLSD)?
    1. Consult the District Boundary Map.
    2. Consult your property tax statement.
    3. Refer to Jefferson County Assessor website for further information.

  8. Who do I call in case of emergency?
  9. In the event of an emergency, the District maintains 24-hour on-call coverage to assist you. You may reach the on-call operator during business hours by calling (303) 833-5505 or after-hours by calling (877) 854-5453.

  10. Where are sewer lines located?
  11. In general, sanitary sewer mainlines are located within the Right of Way of most residential streets.  However, NWLSD does have a portion of mainlines that are located within easements that travel along property lines of customers.  

  12. Does the District have any information regarding a customer's individual sanitary sewer service?
  13. The District maintains tap tickets on a majority of individual sewer services to assist in location of existing sanitary sewer service (depending on year installed).  If this information is available, it can be provided by contacting the District Office at (303) 987- 0835

  14. Why are tap rates set for only one year?
  15. The tap rate structure is reviewed annually by the Board of Directors and modifications are made if deemed appropriate.

  16. Where can I find more information regarding the Annual Improvements and where they will be located within the District?
  17. The District posts a map of annual improvements on the NWLSD District website.

  18. What is the principal cause of sewer backups?
  19. Often times sewer backups are caused by tree roots that grow into and clog the lines as they seek the water inside the pipe. 

  20.  Are there steps a property owner can take to help avoid sewer backups?
  21. There are simple measures you can take to maintain your sewer line in optimum condition, among them:

    1. Avoid pouring grease down your drains.
    2. Avoid putting foreign objects into fixtures that may cause clogging.
    3. Identify where the cleanouts (access points) to your sewer line are and keep them readily accessible in case a plumber needs to access them. Typically, they are located in close proximity to the house in a garden area, in the driveway, or possibly the garage.  If a cleanout is not available, consider constructing one for maintenance purposes.
    4. If you have chronic root problems, one solution worth considering is the removal of trees or plants that may be the culprits or remove and replace the sanitary sewer service line.

  22. What is a sewer cleanout?
  23. A cleanout is a riser pipe that is placed into a sewer line that provides an opening at ground level for maintenance of the sewer service. If a property has a cleanout, it is generally located outside the home on the service line between the residence and the mainline in the street. 

  24. What are the procedures for connecting to the sewer system?
  25. Prior to connecting to any NWLSD sewer system, all tap fees and associated permits required must be paid by the resident. 

    If you are installing a new service, the law requires you to call before you dig. There are underground utilities such as gas, phone, cable, and electric, that can be located by calling UNCC (800) 922-1987. To locate sewer main lines and service connections, please call Ramey Environmental Compliance at (303) 833-5505.

  26. What is the service responsibility of the property owner?
  27. The owner of the property is responsible for the building service line from their residence to the sewer main. Locating the building sewer and its connection to the service sewer is also the owner's responsibility, although the District will attempt to assist with available records and information. 

  28. What is the service responsibility of NWLSD?
  29. Northwest Lakewood Sanitation District is responsible for all the main sewer lines, most of which are located in the street.

  30. Who do I call if I need maintenance done to my service?
  31. We cannot recommend a specific company, however we do recommend you call around to get the best price from a certified professional.

  32. What if sewer is backing up into my house?
  33. Check with neighbors, if they too have a problem contact NWLSD immediately at (303) 833-5505 (after hours -- (877) 854- 5453). If neighbors are not having the same problems, NWLSD would advise a plumber be contacted to check the service. NWLSD may also be contacted to check the main.

  34. Does my homeowner's insurance cover sewer back ups?
  35. You will need to check your insurance policy; many insurance companies do not cover sewer back-ups unless it is a separate policy.

  36. My septic system is failing.  Can I connect to the District sewer system?
  37. There are many options, from connecting a single residence in proximity to a sewer main, to inclusion of entire subdivisions. To discuss your options please contact the District office (303) 987-0835.

  38. If you install a private lift station, will the District maintain it?
  39. Any lift station installed shall be privately owned and maintained.

  40. What is the District cleaning schedule regarding sanitary mainlines? (Jetting, Root Cutting, Televising, etc.)
  41. One third of the District's mainlines are typically cleaned (Jetting, Root Cutting, Televising, etc.) on an annual basis.


  42. Whom should I contact if I observe someone dumping something down a manhole?
  43. Please call Ramey Environmental at (303) 833-5505 (after hours -- (877) 854- 5453) immediately if you observe anyone dumping anything down a manhole.

Facility pretreatment frequently asked questions

(More detailed information regarding pretreatment facilities can be found in "Northwest Lakewood Sanitation District -- Grease Trap Program 2009")

  1. What is the purpose of a Sand/Oil or Grease Interceptor?

A grease interceptor is a device designed and installed to separate and retain grease and other related undesirable matter from normal wastes and permit normal sewage or liquid wastes to discharge into a wastewater collection system by gravity.

  1. Does my facility require a Sand/Oil or Grease Interceptor?

Grease interceptors shall be required for all food preparation establishments which would contribute or cause to contribute, directly or indirectly, any water or wastewater which contains oil and grease, including but not limited to, restaurants, cafeterias, cafes, and fast food organizations.  Additionally, grease interceptors shall be required for all schools, fraternal organizations, churches, hospitals, daycare centers, and other commercial/industrial facilities which have the capability to engage in food preparation or generate sand/oil discharge.

  1. How often is NWLSD required to inspect my facility?

Factors such as location, accessibility, capacity, depth of accumulated solids, and verification of maintenance records will determine what category a pretreatment facility is considered:

    1. Problem/Signifcant Grease Facilities -- These facilities contribute significant amounts of animal/vegetable oil and grease to the wastewater collection system.  These facilities will be inspected at a frequency of at least once every one (1) to three (3) months.
    2. Non-Signficant Grease Facilities - These facilities do not contribute significant amounts of animal/vegetable oil and grease to the wastewater collection system.  These facilities will be inspected at a frequency of at least once every three (3) to six (6) months.
    3. Consult the NWLSD Grease Trap Program for more information concerning pretreatment facilities.



Finding Sewer Locations

District Budget

2018 Capital Improvement Plan

About Sanitation

Useful Links


Transparency Notice

CORA Resolution

2017 Ballot Question

Transfer Sewer Service

Facility Renovation and Service Fee Information

Quail Street Basin Information

Online Bill Pay